Steve Runge Joins the Blogosphere

Steve Runge, a scholar-in-residence here at Logos and author of the Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament, the High Definition New Testament, and the forthcoming Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction to Discourse Features for Teaching and Exegesis has contributed to the blog here on several occasions.

But he has a lot more to say about discourse grammar, his area of expertise, so he’s decided to start his own blog, NT Discourse. His stated goal is to remove the mystery from discourse grammar. If it’s still a mystery to you, you might want to give it a read.

Steve’s hit the blogging ground running, and has been averaging about five posts per week. Here’s a sampling of the kinds of things he’s been discussing:

If you’ve purchased the LDGNT or the HDNT and are looking for some help learning how to put them to good use, you’ll definitely want to check out Steve’s new blog. You RSS folks can grab his newly burned FeedBurner feed.

Even if you’re not into discourse grammar, you won’t want to miss Steve and his dog singing a duet!

7 Responses to “Steve Runge Joins the Blogosphere”

1. Dave November 18, 2008 at 5:12 am #

Thanks Phil…just what we need from Logos. Another scholar giving us information we can’t understand, to do studies we don’t need to preach to people about the near/far distinctions. Two words for you: Fog Index!
    Get someone to blog about how to put the software into practical use to prepare lessons and sermons and you won’t lack for an audience. Hint: From text to Sermon/lesson. Human level.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Robert November 18, 2008 at 7:04 am #

I just discovered Steve’s blog…it’s great…thanks for taking the time to help us mortals….

3. Price November 18, 2008 at 9:20 am #

Steve thank you for this blog.
    I have a question. I have tried to determine if in Greek you can tell whom Paul is speaking of in Ephesians chapters 1-3. It appears that he is say we (Jews), us (Jews and Gentiles) and you (Gentiles).
    I do not know Greek but use Logos to try and understand. I did a word study on either we or you. It took Logos almost an hour to bring up the manuscript word and all its uses. I was too dumb to understand.
    Can you share some light on these words and their use in Ephesians chapters 1-3.
    I have pr ordered your book NT Discourse hoping it well help me.
    Thanks
    Price “T”

4. Robert November 18, 2008 at 10:21 am #

Price,
    I don’t have my Logos fired up right now; I’m at work, but the answer to your question shouldn’t be too hard to figure out using Logos!
    You would probably get a very good response if you asked that question on the Logos Newsgroup…many helpful people there.
    Go to the Logos home page and click on the newsgroup link.
    If nobody has gotten back to you in a few hours, then I’ll take a stab at it.
    bob

5. Robert November 18, 2008 at 10:27 am #

Price,
    Right off of the bat notice that Paul tells you who he’s speaking about; “to the saints in Ephesus.”
    This is a letter from a saint to other saints; from a brother in Christ to other brothers and sisters in Christ.
    That’s the “us” and “you” that’s being spoken of.
    I hope this helps…

6. Phil Gons November 18, 2008 at 11:28 am #

Thanks for your comment, Dave. We like to hear both the good and the bad from our users, so your feedback here is valuable to us.
    Keep in mind, though, that we’re not requiring you to read Steve’s blog. ;) Some people will no doubt find it useful, so we wanted to make them aware of it. If you’re not one of them, that’s fine. Discourse grammar isn’t for everyone. However, though some of it is weighty, there are a lot of practical and preachable things that Steve’s work can illuminate.
    Thanks for letting us know what you’d like to see more of. A lot of what you mention is what you’ll find right here on the Logos blog. If you missed it, you’ll definitely want to check out the post Preparing a Sermon with Logos.

7. Price November 18, 2008 at 2:16 pm #

Robert
    Thanks for the input.
    I do think he is talking to all Ephesians (and us) in the first 10 verses but if you will notice in verse 11 he says “…we were also chosen.. verse 12 in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ… verse 13 you also were included in Christ… The first 3 chapters Paul is revealing the secret (mystery) that has been hidden since before time began. Note 3:6 So the we and su seem to change to be we (Jews), you (Gentiles) and some time we (Christians).