RefTagger Gets New Versions . . . and Much More!

Over the last few weeks our web team has been working hard on even more cool enhancements to RefTagger, so we have several updates to share with you.

1. RefTagger Now Links to Bible.Logos.com

As of Monday, RefTagger is now directing all links to our new online Bible site, Bible.Logos.com. This allows us to bring you a more tightly integrated experience and to continue to improve RefTagger by adding more functionality. We also think Bible.Logos.com is a pretty cool place to read and search the Bible online. :)

2. Several New Bible Versions

Not too long ago we added support for the NIV, TNIV, and NIrV. On Monday—after numerous requests—we were finally able to add the NASB as well. If one of these is your default version, you’ll now see the appropriate text in the tooltip windows. If we still don’t have your favorite version, please let us know.

3. User Control Panel

As a webmaster you get to decide which Bible version RefTagger will display on your site. But what if your readers prefer a different version? To solve this problem, we’ve created the RefTagger control panel. Adding the small control panel somewhere on your site allows your readers to set their preferences, like which version they want to see and whether or not to display the icons linking to Libronix.

You should be able to get the control panel from the RefTagger page very soon—perhaps later today or Monday. I’ll update this post as soon as it is available.

4. Multiple Version Citation Support

Until now RefTagger allowed you to specify a single version to use for all Bible references on your site, but what if you want to cite a version different from your default for comparative purposes? You’re readers could click the link to Bible.Logos.com and then switch versions to compare, but we can do better than that—and we have. Now RefTagger will recognize when you cite a version other than your default and display the appropriate version when you use one of the following three formats:

• John 3:16 NLT
  • John 3:16, NLT
  • John 3:16 (NLT)

5. Easier Plugin Upgrades for WordPress Users

Our RefTagger WordPress plugin is now proudly hosted at the official WordPress Plugin Directory. This is good news for users of WordPress.org (i.e., the self-hosted version). No more having to manually check for updates. WordPress’s built-in plugin update notification system will inform you when new versions are available, and one-click automatic updating allows you to get the latest version with ease.

This is also potentially great news for users of WordPress.com (i.e., the version they host), who, unfortunately, can’t use RefTagger right now. We’ve been in talks with the folks at WordPress.com about getting built-in RefTagger support for WordPress.com. If our WordPress.org plugin is popular enough, they said they will likely make it available on WordPress.com as well!

So if you’re a user of the self-hosted version of WordPress, please download and install the plugin and give it a good rating. WordPress.com users need your help!

Spreading Across the Web

We’re thrilled to see the response to RefTagger. Dozens of new sites are adding it every day. It’s now on more than 2,600 sites! RefTagger keeps getting better and better because of the helpful feedback you send. If you find a bug or have a cool idea for a new feature, please let us know.

10 Responses to “RefTagger Gets New Versions . . . and Much More!”

1. David Reid October 10, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Hi Phil,
    Reftagger is awesome! I have it on my blogger blog, but am now using wordpress.com and would LOVE to see it there.
    And linking it to Bible.logos.com is really great!
    Been a longime Libronix user, and you guys just keept making things more useful.
    Thanks for your service to the body of Christ. These is a great time to live!
    Keep up the good work!

2. Nathan Parker October 10, 2008 at 8:55 pm #

Is there any way where you can setup a manual tagging RefTagger so that I can enter a verse and generate a RefTagger HTML snippet just for one reference at a time? I’d love to incorporate RefTagger into my iWeb site but I don’t know how to do it yet. If you could setup a manual tagging feature I know that’d work. I’d have to manually tag all of my references instead of having the ease of RefTagger doing it automatically, but at least I could use it on my iWeb site.

3. Phil Gons October 10, 2008 at 9:08 pm #

Nathan, you can use this structure for creating links: http://bible.logos.com/passage/esv/gen1.1. If you don’t care to specify a version, you can use: http://bible.logos.com/passage/gen1.1. Hope this helps.

4. Nathan Parker October 10, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks Phil! I will definitely try it on my site one day soon!

5. Michael Adams October 12, 2008 at 7:28 am #

I’ve installed the plugin on my self-hosted version of WordPress at lovebrokethru.com, but it’s not working. I’ve been through the setup screen a couple of times, but no go. Any suggestions?

6. Phil Gons October 13, 2008 at 9:06 am #

Hmm. Not sure without seeing it. I’d be happy to take a look at it if you want to set up a temporary admin login for me. Let me know how I can help.

7. Kaitlin July 21, 2009 at 7:43 am #

Hello Phil,
    I would like to clarify a previous post from Oct, 10th 2008.
    I’ve been trying to insert RefTagger into iweb’s temperamental html snippet tool and it is not working, are there any other ways to work around iweb’s html snippet procedure besides inserting links; ie: http://bible.logos.com/passage/esv/gen1.1 ? Or is there a software that can be purchased for iweb that includes ReffTagger on it?
    Thank you for your help!

8. Phil Gons July 21, 2009 at 9:49 am #

Thanks for the email, Kaitlin. I’m not very familiar with iweb, so I’m afraid I can’t be of much help. If you are unable to insert JavaScript before the closing body tag, you won’t be able to get RefTagger to work? Can you install the Google Analytics Tracking code? If so, you should be able to install RefTagger the same way.

9. Joao Mordomo September 22, 2009 at 1:13 pm #

What about books that start with numbers (1 Cor., for example)? And what about books which share the same first three letters (like Philippians and Philemon)? Is there a list of abbreviations to be used to create the manual links (such as http://bible.logos.com/passage/esv/gen1.1)?
    Thanks.

10. Gary Butner March 14, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

I would like to thank Logos for creating the RefTagger, and making it available for our sites. This item allows the reader to interact with the Bible passage, which focuses their attention on the Word.