Logo, Logo’s, and Logos

If you’ve watched our company video or talked with us on the phone multiple times, you’re probably aware of the various ways we pronounce our name. Some say Lŏgŏs, others say Lōgōs, and a few say Lōgŏs.

Which is it? As Eli so aptly put it, “It doesn’t matter how you say it. It’s Lōgōs, Lŏgŏs, Lōgŏs. It’s all good.”

Take the poll and let us know how you say it.

Logos Bible Software LogoThere are two other variations of our name that I’ve come across several times lately—not in pronunciation, but in spelling: Logo’s Bible Software and Logo Bible Software. Both of these assume that the first word in our name has something to do with a logo (i.e., “a symbol or emblem that acts as a trademark or a means of identification of an institution or other entity”).

It’s easy to understand why people would think this since logo is a very common English word, and our name comes from a Greek word that may be unfamiliar to many.

If it’s still Greek to you, then now’s your chance to learn a little about the Greek word λόγος (i.e., logos)—and the meaning behind our name.

Λόγος is a noun that occurs 330 times in the Greek New Testament. It’s most basic meaning is “word,” “speech,” “utterance,” or “message.” It’s used of Jesus as the Word (i.e., Jn 1:1, 14; Rev 19:13). It’s also used to refer to the Bible or some portion of the Bible as the Word of God (e.g., Mt 15:6; Lk 5:1; 8:21; 11:28; Jn 10:35-36; Ac 6:2, 7; Heb 13:7). Commonly it has specifically in view the preeminent word or message from God, namely the gospel (e.g., 1 Thes 1:5-6, 8).

So that’s what the Logos in Logos Bible Software is all about—the Word of God.

6 Responses to “Logo, Logo’s, and Logos”

1. Thomas Black October 22, 2008 at 6:12 am #

I think it largely depends on which Greek speaking format you use. Since most seminarians are apparently trained with some variant of the flawed Erasmian pronunciation most of us will say “lahgahs”.
    Randall Buth and Modern Greeks I think would be more prone to make both O’s long as in “Low Goes”.

2. Martin Burch October 22, 2008 at 7:34 am #

What bravery to address this sensitive issue. It may be more controversial than the tension between free will and sovereignty! :0)

3. John Felix October 22, 2008 at 4:28 pm #

Although I agree that some scholars view the Erasmian pronunciation as flawed, my personal opinion is that those who maintain that Koine should be pronounced according to modern Greek ignore linguistic principles which, in a nutshell, show evidence that changes in pronunciation are virtually inevitable, especially over the thousand(?) or so years since the spoken language ceased. I’m not saying that Martin is one of those people, and I myself am certainly going to vote for “Low Goes”.

4. Nathan Parker October 22, 2008 at 4:54 pm #

Well written! And what a wonderful mission statement as well. As for me, I’ve always pronounced it with the long o both ways (such as a logo).
    It’s interesting that your own Greek Pronunciation Addin pronounces it like a logo, but WORDsearch’s Talking Strong’s uses the short o.

5. Clif McIrvin October 23, 2008 at 5:43 am #

As the vowels are omicrons, not omegas, it seems obvious to me that the ‘short’ pronunciation is preferable.
    But; how does one know the proper pronunciation of a dead language?
    (Modern Greek is no more ancient Greek than modern ‘American’ is Middle English.)

6. Dale Durnell October 24, 2008 at 4:10 pm #

Phil,
    I voted, but…. the survey page shows up “with errors” and when I vote I get a 405 error “The page cannot be displayed”
    Maybe it doesn’t like the way I voted ;-)
    Dale