Updating Your Resources

We strive to produce very high quality digital books, but typos do creep in sometimes. With the help of our attentive users and our typo reporting tool (Help > Report Typo), our electronic text development department is often able to get these typos fixed and new files added to our FTP site. You’ll find them at ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/.

Why Should You Update?

Updating your resources is good for you and us. It gives you more accurate resources with better functionality, and it also helps to eliminate typo reports on outdated resources.

How Do You Updated?

The simplest way to get the latest files for your books is to run the Resource Auto Update script: http://www.logos.com/media/update/ResourceAutoUpdate.lbxupd. Simply click this link and choose “Open” if your browser gives you an option.

Libronix Update will scan the resources on your hard drive and then give you a list of resources that are outdated.

You could check the box next to Resources to download all of the updates, but if this is your first time running the Resource Auto Update script (or you haven’t run it in a while), you might want to look at the “Total Download” size before you hit “Update.”

My update is 159.30 MB, and since I have a very fast connection here at work, this won’t take long at all. But if you’re on a slower DSL or dial up connection, this could take several hours. If you’re uncertain of your connection speed or how long it might take, the best approach would be to download them a handful at a time so you can gauge how long it’s going to take. Check half a dozen boxes and try a smaller download first. Then repeat the process until you’re done with all of them. (Note: you’ll need to start Libronix in between each session or else you’ll be prompted to download the same resources you just download.)

When it completes the download, you’ll be prompted to close Libronix (if it was opened). After it finishes, you can start Libronix and begin using your newly updated books.

Bookmark This!

We recommend that you run this at least once a month. To remember this link for later, just right-click on it and select “Add to Favorites” (Internet Explorer) or “Bookmark This Link” (Firefox). You’ll also find this link at the bottom of this page: http://www.logos.com/support/download/30bupdate, which is accessible from the Support section of our website (Support > Download the Latest Version > Update).

35 Responses to “Updating Your Resources”

1. David Pereira August 6, 2008 at 11:32 am #

WOW! This is great! I’ve always wondered why the “Tools – Libronix Update” function in Logos didn’t update the resources like I expected.
    THANKS! David

2. Nathan Parker August 6, 2008 at 1:14 pm #

So this is different than doing a direct Libronix Update? I thought Libronix Update took care of the resource updates.

3. Phil Gons August 6, 2008 at 3:54 pm #

Nathan, this is not part of Libronix Update under the Tools menu in Libronix. We have chosen not to add it because new users could find themselves trying to download GBs of files.
    We do force some resources into Libronix Update, but these are just high priority ones. You need to run this special link in order to make sure all of your resources are updated.

4. Gerry Swetsky August 6, 2008 at 6:52 pm #

Phil, apparently if no updates are needed, the program just goes away? At least that’s what happened here. Task manager showed that a process started, ran for a few minutes then went away.
    Gerry

5. Phil Gons August 6, 2008 at 9:08 pm #

Gerry, that’s not what should happen. You should get a Libronix Update screen that says, “Initializing . . . Please wait while Libronix Update analyzes your system.” If no updates are available, it will say, “There are no updates available. Click ‘Close’ to finish.”

6. Thomas Black August 7, 2008 at 5:37 am #

Yes but why O why are not all of the scripts available in Libronix Update? It’s a major oversight. There should be one script – only – ever!

7. Eddie August 7, 2008 at 6:18 am #

Phil,
    What is the difference between “http://www.logos.com/media/update/30eAutoUpdate.lbxupd” [and for that matter versions 30b, 30c,30d] and “http://www.logos.com/media/update/ResourceAutoUpdate.lbxupd”?
    Does “ResourceAutoUpdate” automatically detect which version of Libronix is running on one’s pc and it then invokes the appropriate “30xAutoUpdate.lbxupd” ['x' being the version number here]?
    Thanks in advance for clarifying.

8. Tom Geswein August 7, 2008 at 10:57 am #

Will this also recognize and update older files (.LLS or .LIX) to .lbxlls files or is this something that needs to be done manually?
    Thanks,
    Tom

9. Jonely August 7, 2008 at 11:20 am #

Very cool. I was wondering how I can update all my books to the most current version. Thanks.
    Now is there an update thingy that checks to see if I have all the books to my licenses.

10. Phil Gons August 7, 2008 at 12:09 pm #

Thomas, no, an oversight is accidental. This is intentional.
    We’re moving that direction, but for now we’ve opted to leave the resource update out of the Libronix Update in the program because of our concern that it could cause trouble for some users with low-bandwidth connections.

11. Phil Gons August 7, 2008 at 12:14 pm #

Eddie,
    The http://www.logos.com/media/update/30eAutoUpdate.lbxupd (and its variations) update the Libronix engine to that particular version. Running Libronix Update in the program will accomplish the same thing.
    I believe that ResourceAutoUpdate will not prompt the installation of any updated resource files that are not compatible with your current Libronix version. Everyone, though, should run the latest version of Libronix, which is currently 3.0e.

12. Phil Gons August 7, 2008 at 12:20 pm #

Tom, LLS and LIX files are not included in this. We are, however, working to get the most important LLS and LIX files updated to the LBXLLS format.

13. Phil Gons August 7, 2008 at 12:20 pm #

Jonely, there is currently not a feature that will check for missing books, but that’s on the feature request list for version 4.

14. Ken Neighoff August 7, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

Phil,
    I run the updater from the link that you provided and it seems to work well. Then if I open it again say a day later, it still shows the required updates, that I ran the day before. Am I missing a step somewhere in the process or are my files not being updated correctly?
    Ken

15. Phil Gons August 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm #

Hi, Ken,
    Just make sure to shut Libronix down and restart it before you try to run the script again. That should do it.

16. Doug August 8, 2008 at 12:26 am #

Approximately when will a faster version (start-up, searches etc…) be available?

17. Nathan Parker August 8, 2008 at 7:30 pm #

Hi Phil!
    Thanks for the clarification! I’m adding it to my toolbar so I’ll have the easy access.
    Although I do agree with Tom, one updater would be so much easier. It’d be nice to see all the resources placed in a “resources” section when you run the update with a warning message blow explaining the slow download for low bandwidth users & providing a link where they could grab them on a disk.
    Eventually it’d be nice to have an auto-update feature integrated for high bandwidth users so the updates auto-download then prompt you to restart Libronix when needed, similar to Firefox.

18. Phil Gons August 8, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

Good suggestions, Nathan. I’ll pass these along. Thanks for sharing.

19. Thomas Black August 11, 2008 at 9:41 am #

Phil: I appreciate the explanation regarding Bandwidth.
    But to complicate the issue a bit more ;-) What about using Bittorrent DNA as a backend for Libronix update? Imagine the power of thousands of open torrents cascading every update around the internet! W00T It makes me giddy.
    of course it won’t help bandwidth restricted connections at all….

20. Chuck Jaeger August 14, 2008 at 7:29 am #

Phil,
    This is great! However I noticed that by updating resources my markups in the previous version don’t always end up in the right place. I also noticed my annotation notes icon and hyper links sometimes shift. Is that a draw back to updating a resource?

21. Phil Gons August 14, 2008 at 1:51 pm #

Yes, there is a possibility that markups and notes could move slightly. Often this doesn’t happen, but occasionally it does.

22. Pastor Walter Snyder August 25, 2008 at 2:14 pm #

One last tip that you may want to add: Don’t forget to run Tools → Library Management → Synchronize Licenses following each update. I offered such an addendum to my own post on Updating Your Resources after running the script a second time and finding another 20+ gb download staring me in the face.

23. Terry Roberts September 3, 2008 at 12:11 pm #

Aloha from paradise
    Thank you for this tip. It is a real time saver. I had been going to the FTP site, pulling down a list of files, sorting by date stamp and then comparing to my resources. This is so much easier.
    When I run this, I also have listed updates for locked resources. Is this normal? How can I stop the updates for locked resources from appearing?
    Mahalos
    Terry

24. Phil Gons September 4, 2008 at 11:26 am #

You’re welcome, Terry. Glad you found it helpful! You should see updates only for resources that you have on your computer. But it’s possible that it remembers locked resources from CDs/DVDs that you’ve put in your drive. Try Refreshing Resources to clear your resources cache.

25. Paul M September 25, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

Hey Phil – is there anyway of adding this update link into Logos using a Custom toolbar and a custom script? That way it’s integrated nicely.

26. Phil Gons September 25, 2008 at 1:39 pm #

Great question, Paul. I actually covered this in my follow-up post: Creating a Resource Update Toolbar Button. Hope it’s helpful.

27. Michael Schuermann December 6, 2008 at 2:00 pm #

Well, I was hoping that by the time the Mac client reached final this feature would be supported as well. I’m running RC2 and the Mac Updater doesn’t recognize this update file. Will this be implemented shortly? It’s very handy for pulling down updates, but I don’t plan on running the Windows version any longer.

28. Phil Gons December 8, 2008 at 1:14 pm #

Michael, we hope to add this functionality in a future version, but it didn’t make it into 1.0.

29. Jeremy December 16, 2008 at 7:53 pm #

I have followed all the advice on this page, but every time I update my resources, I am always asked to download the same ones over and over. What am I doing wrong?

30. Phil Gons December 16, 2008 at 8:21 pm #

Jeremy, make sure to restart Libronix after you run the resource auto update script. Better yet, run the auto update script with Libronix closed. Does that do it? If not, what version of Libronix are you running?

31. Jeremy December 17, 2008 at 4:58 pm #

I think I may have figured out the problem. All of my resources are LLS (or I can’t find any that are LBX). Why is that? I am running 3.0e.

32. Phil Gons December 17, 2008 at 5:04 pm #

LLS resources have .lix and .lsf extensions. LBX resources have .lbxlls extensions.
    Feel free to call (800-875-6467) or email (cs@logos.com) our CS team; they’d be happy to help to get things squared away.

33. Ron December 17, 2008 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks for the information on updating my resources.
    Since only my desktop is connected to the internet is it possible to get the updated resources to my laptop?
    Thanks,
    Ron

34. Felix A. Pena Jr. December 18, 2008 at 7:05 am #

HAHAHA YEAH!! this is outstanding wowo!!!!thank you David

35. Phil Gons December 18, 2008 at 10:00 am #

There are a couple of ways you could do this. Feel free to email (cs@logos.com) or call (800-875-6467) our CS team; they would be happy to help you.