Books, Books, and More Books!

I’m a book lover. While I prefer the digital kind, I still love the print ones too. Whenever I visit another book lover’s home, my eyes are almost irresistibly drawn to his bookshelves.

As you can imagine, we have thousands of print books around the office. My wife works over in the Electronic Text Development department, and I’m always peeking at the bookshelves to see what’s new when I go over to meet her for lunch.

In the last week or two, we’ve had several big shipments of books that have really gotten me excited. The shipments weren’t quite as big as the ones we got from T&T Clark a couple of years ago, but they contained some excellent books that I know many of you will be as thrilled about as I am. I wish I could tell you more, but I don’t want to ruin the surprise.

You have probably noticed that it’s been fairly quiet on the Pre-Pub page over the last couple of weeks, but that’s about to change very soon. Stay tuned!

11 Responses to “Books, Books, and More Books!”

1. Richard August 4, 2008 at 7:33 am #

Oh, why must you make me covet?!

2. Ted Hans August 4, 2008 at 9:27 am #

Hi Phil,
    I enjoy reading your blogs and look forward to them. I will have to wait for these excellent book offerings (you have got me thinking)any hints as to when these surprises will begin to be rolled out?
    BTW how do you ‘read’ digital books without hurting your eyes? I find it a bit of a mystery.

3. Phil Gons August 4, 2008 at 9:53 am #

We may see one or two hit the Pre-Pub page this week, and several more next week. The time frame on some of the others is still TBD.
    Three secrets to reading from a screen:
    1. Get a nice quality monitor. Newer LCDs are easier on the eyes.
    2. Get a decent size monitor. I’d recommend 22″. They are fairly inexpensive these days.
    3. Maximize or enlarge the window and increase the zoom or font size.

4. Greg August 4, 2008 at 5:25 pm #

Me thinks you need to provide a larger picture of those books! While you’re at it, how about putting up a whole gallery of Logos’ book room!
    :-D

5. Alan Cassady August 4, 2008 at 7:07 pm #

Are there any plans for an interactive atlas? If so I have some ideas for features.
    I think with the growing technology in mapping software this could be an exciting opportunity.

6. Phil Gons August 4, 2008 at 8:20 pm #

Don’t worry that you can’t read the books in the image. They aren’t the new books. I didn’t want to give it away. :)
    Good idea, though, about a gallery of pictures of our books around the office. I’ll see what I can do.

7. Wayne Penner August 5, 2008 at 6:37 am #

Will the new books need to be typed in manually? Are you able to get computer files from the publishers?

8. JJ August 5, 2008 at 8:37 am #

Question:
    When will most NEW books be released digitally at the same time as their print counter-parts? It seems to me that the publishers HAVE the book in electronic form already (Word, or text file), and could easily release that to Libronix in plenty of time for tagging and converting. Seems to me to be a win-win for the publisher.
    JJ

9. Phil Gons August 6, 2008 at 9:55 am #

Wayne, it depends. With newer books, we’re usually able to get digital files from the publishers. Older books need to be scanned and OCRed. I think this recent big bunch of books will be some of both.

10. Phil Gons August 6, 2008 at 9:57 am #

JJ, we’re moving that direction, but some publishers still prefer to wait a while before giving us the digital rights. We frequently get digital files for newer books, so that does help speed up the process.

11. George F Somsel August 9, 2008 at 11:09 am #

For shame ! As Paul said,

it is good not to . . . do anything that makes your brother or sister stumble.

The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1989 (Ro 14:21). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.
    Anyone got a spare air mattress I can fall on ?