Introducing the Bible Study Magazine

Today’s guest post is from John Barry, the associate editor and project manager for the new Bible Study Magazine from Logos Bible Software.

Bible Study Magazine is a brand new print magazine (not an e-magazine) sponsored by Logos Bible Software. Six times a year, Bible Study Magazine will deliver tools and methods for Bible study, as well as insights from respected Bible teachers, professors, historians, and archaeologists.

Of course, we at Logos love electronic resources, but we want information on Bible study we can take anywhere—to the park, to the break room, to the bathroom, wherever! We want something we can touch, something we can browse for Bible study inspiration. We live in an electronic age, but as long as there are waiting areas in doctors’ offices, there will be magazines.

Bible Study Magazine is a convenient biblical resource that will help improve your Bible study by bringing you insight from trusted Bible teachers and scholars. The writers and interviewees have spent a lifetime applying the Bible to their lives and teaching others to do the same.

An outline of Bible Study Magazine is available at the Pre-Publication page. The first issue (Nov-Dec 2008) features:

• “Mystery” interviews of two of the best Bible teachers in the church today (can you feel the suspense?)
  • Craig Broyles on “How the Bible Interacts with the Ancient World”
  • Arnold Fruchtenbaum on “What is Justification and Sanctification?”
  • Mark Goodacre on “How to Read the Gospels”
  • Daniel Wallace on “How to Choose a Bible Translation”

Plus regular “how-to” guides on Bible study tools and word studies, as well as the on-going Bible study “Facing Today with the Book of Hebrews” (great for personal or small group studies). There will also be exciting articles about how a fragment of the Bible saved a life and the untold story of the publication of the Great Isaiah Scroll.

Bible Study Magazine is interesting to the scholar, while accessible to everyone. In each issue there is something useful, something edgy, and of course, something geeky.

11 Responses to “Introducing the Bible Study Magazine”

1. Thomas Black June 13, 2008 at 6:31 am #

I’m hoping the archives will be in Libronix format. Response?

2. LaRosa Johnson June 13, 2008 at 6:46 am #

awesome :) just put mine on pre-order.
    i’ve been looking for something like this!
    lj.

3. Dave Webster June 13, 2008 at 9:01 am #

Will it also be available as a pdf download of some sort as I almost never read printed materials anymore. Ohhh and btw who reads the magazines in a doctors office, hmmmm sick people and porous paper there’s a great combo.

• Theophilos57 October 25, 2011 at 7:40 am #

I do agree…..why would you pick up someone else’s virus in a doctor’s office? I wish Logos people will put this printed magazine in a digital format like the BAR, etc. Great idea!!!!!

4. Nathan Parker June 13, 2008 at 11:42 am #

I agree that the archives need to be in Libronix format. Possibly send out subscribers once a year containing that year’s worth of Libronix files on CD? That way your distribution of the Libronix files wouldn’t take up vast amounts of time. Or simply provide a way where we can log into our Logos.com account & download the Libronix archives? Either way, that’d allow us to read the printed magazines & search the electronic archives when we need to. I do that with Macworld now & it’s such a blessing.
    PDF would be a nice format to offer the magazines in as well, as I do some of my magazine reading in PDF. Zinio Reader format would be another great possibility. Lots of people get their subscriptions through Zinio.

5. Justin June 13, 2008 at 8:48 pm #

Thank God for some physical copy! We need a break from this electronic gnostic mentality. ;)

6. Rick Powell June 15, 2008 at 9:05 pm #

I think that this magazine is a great idea, but I will only order it if you also receive the issues via Libronix. Print magazines are great…I actually prefer them…but one of the advantages of Logos is archiving. I am tired of having to physically archive magazine articles that I want to keep. Give us the print copies as planned along with downloads for archiving and searchability. We have archives of BAR and other Journals in our libraries, but Logos wouldn’t offer electronic versions of their own product; I can’t see that happening. Add in the Libronix copies and I will happily pre-order.

7. Jonely Moy June 17, 2008 at 6:46 am #

DIGITAL, DIGITAL, DIGITAL!!!!

8. Kevin Laffoon October 18, 2008 at 11:20 pm #

My wife and I would definitely like a physical copy. We want to get our hands on it and give our eyes a break from the computer screen. It is killing our eyes. Plus, it is great to show your friends, so they to can be interested also. I will take a magazine places I won’t take my expensive laptop or desktop. Digital has a time and a place under the sun, but so do real, legitimate magazines. My wife and I have no ultimatums; we are on board no matter your decision. We want to grow as believers, but we sure would enjoy a physical copy for our eye’s sake if nothing else.
    Thanks for caring!

9. David Housholder November 3, 2008 at 3:27 am #

It was great that Bible Study Magazine arrived in my mailbox just before I left Georgia for a month of teaching in Bangalore, India. I forced myself not to open and read it immediately but to save it for the long plane journey and then to enjoy here. It reminds me of the old Eternity Magazine in its focus on the Bible and articles related to making the Bible teaching real in our lives.
    A few observations:
    1. The magazine is a link between the online world and the paper and ink world. Numerous web addresses are sprinkled throughout, acknowledging that the readers will be using both magazine and web browser. Thus my surprise that there were no email addresses allowing the reader to interact with the editor(s).
    2. The ink used for the questions in the interview starting on page 20 (that color is use in other places as well – works better in a larger font as on page 23) is too pale to be easily readable (at least to my eyes).
    3. I appreciated the insights in the “Choosing a Bible Translation” article. But I was surprised to read that The New Living Translation Second Edition which came out in 2004 or 2005 was “released shortly after this article was written.” Since the NET Bible is included (2005) the article must have been written shortly after that was released? It’s not that these comments would have changed greatly in the past three years, but here is a fresh, new magazine and suddenly we realize it’s pulled up old material for the inaugural issue.
    David Housholder

10. John Barry November 3, 2008 at 10:19 am #

David,
    Thanks for your comments and feedback.
    1. You, or anyone else interested in emailing the editors, can email me (the Associate Editor) at john@logos.com. Michael Heiser and I will review together any feedback we receive. We would love to hear from you, or anyone else, interested in telling us what they think.
    2. I am sorry to hear that the color of the ink on page 20 was difficult to read. We will gladly correct this in the next issue.
    3. “Choosing a Bible Translation” by Daniel Wallace is adapted from a previous version of an article he published on Bible.org, but I can assure you that it has been completely updated with new information about new translations. In the footnote on page 25, the reference to the New Living Translation refers to the newest edition of the New Living Translation, which was just recently released. As we were about to go to press with this issue of Bible Study Magazine, we got our first copy of the new edition of the NLT. We had hoped that Daniel Wallace would be able to review it in his article, but unfortunately there was no time left to add any more information. We hope to review it in the “Shelf Life” section of a future issue.
    Thanks again for your feedback, feel free to email me with any more questions.
    –John