Diagramming Galatians

Terry Cook, one of our users and a regular in our newsgroups, just completed a project that he’s been working on for the last 23 months: diagramming the Greek text of the entire letter of Paul to the Galatians.

He’s annotated his diagrams with grammatical notes, including insights from some of the major Greek grammars available in Libronix. He has grouped his diagrams into these six sections following the major paragraph breaks of the NA27:

• Galatians 1
  • Galatians 2
  • Galatians 3:1-4:7
  • Galatians 4:8-5:1
  • Galatians 5:2-26
  • Galatians 6

I asked Terry if he’d mind if we made his work available to you, our blog readers, and he said that he would be very happy to share it.

To view these diagrams in Libronix, you’ll need to download this zip file, extract the six files, and put them in your \My Documents\Libronix DLS\SentenceDiagrams folder. If the SentenceDiagrams folder does not exist, simply create it from the File menu or right-click menu.

Then, with Libronix opened, go to File > Open (or Ctrl + O), select Sentence Diagrams from the Types column and one of the diagrams from the Documents column.

Here’s an example of his diagram of Galatians 5:17.

Download them, and give them a look. Perhaps Terry’s work will inspire you to start doing some diagramming of your own!

16 Responses to “Diagramming Galatians”

1. Ted Hans May 21, 2008 at 9:30 am #

Hi phil,
    i have tried downloading the zip file to my SentenceDiagrams folder but nothing appears on libronix. i can’t figure out what i am doing wrong. Thanks

2. Phil Gons May 21, 2008 at 9:32 am #

Make sure to unzip the zip folder and put the contents (6 files) in the SentenceDiagrams folder. Libronix won’t recognize them if they are still zipped up.
    Hope this helps.

3. Ted Hans May 21, 2008 at 9:41 am #

THANKS a million! it appears, it appears in libronix.

4. Michael Huffman May 21, 2008 at 1:23 pm #

This is GREAT!!! I have been asking for along time that Logos do pre-set sentence diagramming. Although I know this was not done by Logos, it is a start. Is it possible that Logos will ever do that on the complete NT?

5. Timothy H. Fisher May 21, 2008 at 2:48 pm #

Thanks for this! Logos needs to do this for every book in the NT…I would pay big money for it!

6. Martin Burch May 22, 2008 at 10:30 am #

This is overwhelmingly impressive and VERY significant! Thanks Terry for sharing the fruit of what has to be many hours of hard work in the text. The grammatical commentary is an unexpected bonus. When exegesis is freely shared truly “the Word of God is not bound”. Just a thought: Could a forum be set up to allow users to share such outlines with one another? Thanks again.

7. Andy Anderson May 23, 2008 at 7:57 am #

Phil,
    Thank you for asking Terry Cook to have his work posted here. Wow! what a wonderful resource to download. I appreciate the caring and sharing that takes place between employees at Logos, and also our Logos Bible Software users. Many Koudos!

8. Les Carpenito May 24, 2008 at 6:15 am #

I have downloaded the files, created the SentanceDiagrams folder and unzipped the files to it. They appear there. However when I go to Open file, “SentanceDiagrams” is not one of my choices. Any ideas? Thanks

9. Mark Wood May 24, 2008 at 6:29 am #

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I am preaching a series through Galatians now titled, “Diving Deep into a Shallow World” This will shave a bunch off my prep time… again I say Thanks!
    Mark

10. Bob Payne May 24, 2008 at 7:15 am #

That method does not seem to work for Vista. Nothing shows up on the list, even after unzipping the files into the folder. Thanks!

11. Charles Boyd May 29, 2008 at 5:58 am #

will this sentence diagram deal work with Libronix 3.0d old Scholars edition? Just haven’t had the funds to update. But I’ve extracted the files, put them in a SentenceDiagram folder, but it doesn’t show up in the “open” files.
    charlie

12. Bobby D. Gayton August 16, 2008 at 3:55 pm #

These are great.

13. Bobby D. Gayton October 6, 2008 at 4:12 pm #

Have you or are you going to diagram 1 Timothy? Especially 1 Ti 2:12.
    Bobby D. Gayton

• Curt February 25, 2012 at 2:24 am #

Where is the sentence diagram folder on my hard drive , I can see it in the software itself but how to I get the zip files into the sentence diagram folder?

• Curt February 25, 2012 at 5:00 am #

I have to LOL at this one sorry..

14. Mike January 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

can someone open it and repost as a logos file for Mac?