Changing Your English Font

Users often ask if there is a way to change the English font in Libronix. The default font is Times New Roman. If you’re like me, you have another font that you prefer. While it’s not a standard option, it is fairly easy to change your English font.
Here are the steps you will need to take:

1. Open Libronix.
  2. Right click on the toolbar area and click on Customize.
  3. Click New to create a new toolbar.
  4. Leave the Category as Special, and click on Run Script Code.
  5. Click Add, give it a name like Change Font, and then click on Details.
  6. If you want, give it a name, select a style and icon, and assign a shortcut key.
  7. Paste the following Script Code into the box.
  8. var strFont=Application.UserPreferences(“LDLS/ResourceSettings”).GetValue(“Strings”,”Serif”);
    var strFontFamily=Application.UserPreferences(“LDLS/ResourceSettings”).GetValue(“Strings”,”StandardFontFamily”);
    strFont=”Minion Pro”;
    strFontFamily=”Serif”;
    Application.UserPreferences(“LDLS/ResourceSettings”).SetValue(“Strings”,”Serif”,strFont);
    Application.UserPreferences(“LDLS/ResourceSettings”).SetValue(“Strings”,”StandardFontFamily”,strFontFamily);

9. Replace Minion Pro with the name of your favorite font. Be sure to use the exact name, which you can find in a program like Word.
  10. Click OK, OK, and Close.
  11. Click your new button (or use your shortcut key) to execute the script code.

That’s it. Your new font should now display. To change your font back, just edit your script code and insert Times New Roman. Create as many buttons on your new toolbar as you’d like. I choose to hide my toolbar after executing the script so that it’s not taking up toolbar space.
One caution: not all English fonts support the full range of characters used in Libronix. If you see boxes or other weird shapes, you’ve probably picked a font that’s lacking some necessary characters.
Here’s a brief video walking you through the 10 steps.
Note: you may need to view this post on a separate page to get all of the script code. Click the 06:00 AM below to do so.

13 Responses to “Changing Your English Font”

1. Gabriel Powell November 23, 2007 at 9:30 am #

Sweet! Is there a way to unapply the new font, or is it just a matter of creating another tool to go back to Times?

2. Phil Gons November 23, 2007 at 9:50 am #

To change your font back, just edit your script code and insert Times New Roman. Rerun it, and you’ll be back to the default settings.

3. Jonely November 23, 2007 at 10:43 am #

Very Cool! And thank you. For years I’ve been asking since my upgrade from the old Logos machine to be able to read my new Libronix stuff in Comic Sans MS font…And now I can! Now doing my in-depth studies not only looks less intimidating…It also looks…fun!

4. Phil Gons November 23, 2007 at 10:51 am #

You’re welcome. Glad to help!

5. Steve R. November 23, 2007 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks for the tip. I just wanted to add to the discussion that if all someone really wants to so is see their text in a simple sans serif font (like Arial) instead of a serif one (like Times Roman) there’s a simple way to change back and forth without messing with any script code. Just select Tools / Options / Text Display and click the “Prefer Sans Serif Fonts for Resources” box. I stumbled upon that a while back and really appreciate this simple option for people like me who are not current card-carrying members of the Times Roman Font Fan Club.

6. Graham November 24, 2007 at 3:36 am #

This is neat but given that it is so simple to code surely it would only take a few minutes for one of the developers to add a proper option with a selection box to the next beta…

7. Mark Barnes November 24, 2007 at 4:08 am #

There is a slightly easier way to do this. Make sure Libronix is closed, then go to Start/Search and look for the file ResourceSettings.lbxprf. You’ll need to make sure that you’re searching for hidden files and folders in the advanced options.
    While it’s searching, open up Notepad. Then, when the search is complete, drag the file into Notepad. You’ll see a simple configuration file come up, where both Serif and Sans-serif fonts are listed. You can just change them, then save the file.
    If you have more than one user of the computer, the search may reveal more than one file – make sure you choose the one that belongs to you!

8. Phil Gons November 24, 2007 at 11:00 am #

Thanks, Mark. Interesting. It looks like there are two instances of this file in Vista:
    C:\ProgramData\Libronix DLS\Library\Preferences\LDLS\ResourceSettings.lbxprf
    C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Libronix DLS\Library\Preferences\LDLS\ResourceSettings.lbxprf
    I’m guessing that the latter is the one that needs changing, since the former has an English font listed that I’m not even using (but used to use a while ago), while the latter has the English font that I am currently using.
    Here are the contents of that file for anyone interested:
    <?xml version=”1.0″?>
    <preferences>
    <key name=”Strings”>
    <value name=”Copy:footnotes”>yes</value>
    <value name=”Zoom”>150</value>
    <value name=”Serif”>Minion Pro</value>
    <value name=”StandardFontFamily”>Serif</value>
    <value name=”ScriptFont:hebrew”>SBL Hebrew</value>
    <value name=”ScriptFont:greek”>Gentium</value>
    <value name=”SansSerif”>Arial</value></key></preferences>

9. Phil Gons November 24, 2007 at 11:03 am #

Graham, I’ll make sure the developers know that users would really like to have this built in to the standard options.

10. Rick Martin November 24, 2007 at 1:41 pm #

Just wondering–would anyone know off-hand whether Tahoma supports all the different symbols so I won’t be getting the boxes?

11. Phil Gons November 24, 2007 at 4:58 pm #

Tahoma supports almost all of the characters, but it will show a box where it should show a bullet point in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. It’s not a big deal, though.

12. Rick Martin November 25, 2007 at 5:45 pm #

Thanks, Phil. It appears that both Easyworship for MS platforms and ProPresenter (our current A/V software) for Mac use Tahoma or close to it for readability using projectors–so I was curious.

13. Jorge May 15, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks for all of your tips and techniques.
    However, Libronix does not provide a straight simple way to change fonts.
    I like simplicity, allow me to have a font list
    where I can choose the desired font. Just like any Word application.
    I am sure that havin a shell with the corresponding script is not that complicated.
    Where do I need to write or contact the Libronix developers?
    Blessings to all