Why Syntax?

If you’ve read this blog for awhile, you may be asking yourself, “Why Syntax?” That is, why is it such a big deal in Logos Bible Software 3?

We’ve recently posted an article on our web site by Dr. Mike Heiser, who serves as Logos’ Academic Editor, that provides some answers to this question.

And he does it in an easy-to-read way. Even if your first question is “What is syntax?”, you’ll benefit from reading Dr. Heiser’s article. So check it out!

6 Responses to “Why Syntax?”

1. Mike June 5, 2006 at 8:33 am #

Great article – makes it very practical… Everyone who has wondered how syntax searches would benifit him practically should read Dr. Heiser’s article.

2. David Hooton June 5, 2006 at 8:41 pm #

I feel that the article does a great dis-service to regular searching with the example “God and love” query in the ESV. The point would be _more_ meaningfully made by using “God within 2 words love” (65 hits), and by avoiding the term “false hits”. Because I can equally construct syntax queries with many “false hits”!
    If one wishes to promote Syntax searching, I do not think that belittling the abilities of regular searching will assist the average user who wishes to make good use of all the search techniques that are available.

3. Rene June 6, 2006 at 7:52 am #

It is important to have expertise in God’s Word and apply this skill. Yet in my experiences in professional ministry there has been few occassions indeed that required a syntaxical analysis (if ever). Other skills such as preaching, counseling, management, and various other concrete skills have been used on a daily basis. This leads me to ask the question of why Logos has chosen to “improve” its software with such a heavy inclusion of linguistic tools considering all the other needs in ministry. I am left with the question of “so what” after giving considerable thouhgt to my future use of this software.

4. Dale Pritchett June 7, 2006 at 9:53 am #

Syntax does not offer the cure to the common cold. It is not a plug-in replacement for everything that has gone before. It does however represent the latest and most significant extension of computer technology in Biblical studies. In terms of Logos company focus and direction, it is just one of dozens of projects underway. While the majority of our projects have nothing to do with linguistics, and are focused on broader ministry, we find it difficult not to get excited about the technical innovations in linguistic studies.

5. Mike June 9, 2006 at 8:42 pm #

I am thankful for every linguistic capability that Logos can incorporate into their increasingly comprehensive arsenal of biblical tools and resources. And I am certain that there are many who would agree. True, many users will never need to do syntax analysis, but some will find it very useful. I have been following the posts on syntax searching closely, and I can see many practical applications to help with Bible translation, and a few for exegesis.

6. Nathan Parker September 9, 2006 at 3:10 pm #

Great article! I’m still trying to learn more about Syntax, but it’s a great feature of Logos 3!