After posting this entry about our soup cookoff, some folks wrote in to request recipes.
I’ll post the top three over the next few days. We’ll start with the third-place soup, made by yours truly: Smakelijke Split Pea Soup.
Smakelijke Split Pea Soup
- 5 cups split peas (from the bulk food section)
- 5 quarts water
- 2 large carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- Ham (3-4 cups cubed ham. I just bought a half a ham [Hempler's honey-cured] and chopped up half of that).
- Salt/pepper/season as desired (and whenever desired throughout the process). I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and some chili powder.
- Wash split peas; drain.
- Clean carrots. Grate finely.
- Clean celery. Chop celery.
- Chop onion.
- Chop ham into cubes.
- Dump everything into a large pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer 2-3 hours.